The sweet earthiness of Alder complements those same characteristics in apples. This is a winning flavor match!
Serves – 4
Total Time – 45 minutes
Tip – Vanilla ice cream is non negotiable here. Are you a French Vanilla or a Vanilla Bean?
- ⅔ cup Flour
- ¼ cup cubed Butter, cold
- ⅓ cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Apples
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Tbs. Butter, melted
- Pinch Nutmeg
- Preheat a grill or oven to 400˚F and soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Prepare the crumble topping. Work the butter into the flour and then add the sugar. The mixture should be slightly clumpy and not too dry.
- Set the crumble mixture on a sheet pan and place in the oven or on the grill over indirect heat. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring it around occasionally. To test readiness, take a piece out and let it cool, if it’s crunchy the topping is ready.
- Core the apples, halve, and slice each half into 6 equal wedges.
- Toss the apples in the melted butter, ¼ cup brown sugar, and nutmeg.
- Arrange the apples on the planks and get them into the oven or grill. Cook for about 20 minutes or until apples are soft and starting to caramelize.
- Serve the apples warm with the crumb topping and some vanilla ice cream.