Serves – 4 Total Time - 30 Minutes
This recipe could make a great hand-held appetizer, vegetarian entrée or as part of a sandwich.
Tip – Removing the black gills out of the mushroom before marinating can really help with the end presentation. You can use a spoon to scrape them out.
- 2 Cedar Grilling Planks
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 ½ slices fresh Mozzarella
- 1 large Tomato
- 1 Zucchini, sliced
- Basil leaves
- Coarse Salt and Pepper
- Soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes and preheat the grill or oven to 400°F.
- Place the mushrooms in a bowl with the oil and vinegar, allow to marinate for up to an hour.
- Place a slice of mozzarella, tomato, and zucchini in each mushroom cap.
- Drizzle with some of the marinade, season with salt and pepper.
- Set the mushrooms on the planks and place them on the grill or in the oven.
- Cook for 15 minutes or until the mushroom is soft and the cheese has melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve hot.