Move over beer can chicken! Wine can chicken is here and we are into it! Crispy skin, juicy flesh, and packed with flavor.
Total time: 20 minutes
- Cherry Smoking Chips
- 1 whole Chicken
- 1 can of Wine, Red or Rose
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Pepper in Adobo
- ¼ cup White Vinegar
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- Preheat a charcoal grill to around 500°F setting the coals on one side, preparing the grill to cook over indirect heat.
- Place the chipotle, vinegar, and sugar in a pan with 2 Tbsp water. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture has become a sticky syrup.
- Prepare the chicken by rinsing and patting completely dry. Season both inside and out with salt.
- Drain about a ¼ of the can of wine and put it on the grill. Place the neck cavity over the can and lower until it is level with the grill grate. You will have to move it around until the chicken is able to remain vertical. Make sure it is stable and won’t fall over.
- Brush the chicken all over with the chipotle glaze.
- Throw a handful of smoking chips directly onto the charcoal and close the lid.
- Every 15 minutes for about an hour, add more chips and brush with more glaze and rotate the bird 90°.
- The chicken is done when the internal temp reaches 165°F, allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving.