An immune booster of a recipe here, plenty of turmeric, garlic, and vitamin C to help ward off illness.
Tip – Spatchcocking is a great way to get dinner on the table faster as it really speeds up the cooking time for a whole bird. Check out this video to see how easy it is to spatchcock.
For the bird
- 2 Hickory Grilling Planks, recommend 5 x 11”
- 1 whole Chicken, rinsed, dried, and giblets removed
- 4 Tbsp Turmeric
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Kosher Salt
For the salad
- Cedar Grilling Wraps
- 4 Carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 2 Oranges, peeled and segments removed
- Spinach, enough for 4 side salads
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Vinegar of choice
- 1 Tbsp Mustard of choice
- Preheat a grill or oven to 425˚ F and soak the hickory planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken, breast-side up on a cutting board and insert a knife into the neck cavity.
- With the tip of the knife coming through at the other end of the bird, cut downward to separate one side of the spine from the body.
- Repeat on the other side to completely remove the spine (this can also be done using a pair of kitchen shears).
- Use a paring knife to trim down each side of the wishbones and pull them out.
- Cut the connective tissue between the ribs and the body and remove each side of the rib cage.
- In the center, at the sternum where the breast bones meet, you will find a small piece of cartilage. Make a small cut in this cartilage and press down to flatten the bird.
- Rub it all over with olive oil, turmeric, and garlic. Place the bird skin side up on the planks laying them side by side.
- Set the planks on the grill or in the oven and cook to an internal temp of 165˚ F, about 45 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, soak the grilling wraps in warm water for a few minutes. Toss the carrots in a little oil and place on the cedar wraps, fold over to enclose and secure the wrap bundle with string. Set on the grill or oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Make the dressing by combining the oil, vinegar, and mustard. Just put the ingredients in a jar or bottle and shake it up.
- Toss the orange, spinach, and cooked carrots with the dressing.
- Carve the chicken into 8 pieces and serve with the salad.