For this recipe we will be using prosciutto and cheese in poppers instead of the usual bacon. Prosciutto is much thinner and easier to manage than a thick-cut piece of bacon when wrapping around a price of cheese and stuffing it into a non-compliant jalapeno. Plus, you will have leftover prosciutto to use at will! The maple plank adds a sweet, subtle smoke to the poppers and provides a dramatic presentation method.
This recipe is very simple. The most time consuming part is seeding the jalapenos.
- 15 Jalapeno peppers
- 1 3oz package of Prosciutto (We used La Quercia Prosciutto Americano)
- 1 8oz package of Pepper Jack Cheese (We used Tillamook Pepper Jack Cheese)
- 1 large Maple Grilling Plank
- Soak your grilling plank for at least one hour.
- Prep jalapeno peppers. Cut off the tops. Roll the jalapeno back and forth with the palm of your hand to loosen up the seeds. Remove the seeds and pith by inserting your pairing knife into pepper and rotating. The seeded peppers should looks like this (below).
- Cut the cheese into pieces that are a little shorter than the jalapenos, and narrow enough to fit inside them once they are wrapped in prosciutto. Wrap the cheese in prosciutto and stuff the jalapenos.
- Preheat your grill to medium heat (350ºF). Add poppers to maple plank and grill for about 10 minutes, turning once.
*Keep a spray bottle handy for flare-ups.
Get ‘em while they’re hot.
*Please consider subscribing to our newsletter, you will receive occasional e-mails about Sales, Giveaways and More! Found at the bottom of any page.