This Vegetarian recipe is full of flavor and can be easily prepared in advance.
Serves – 4
Total Time – 1 hour
Tip – To preserve lemon, simply quarter the fruit, pack into a clean jar, and pack with salt and a little water to cover, wait a month and you’re all set. If that’s too long to wait, just use lemon zest!
- Red Oak Grilling Planks
- 2 medium Eggplants
- ⅓ cup Olive Oil, plus extra for brushing
- Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Tahini paste
- 6 Garlic cloves, whole and in the skin
- Pinch ground Cumin
- Dash Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tbsp preserved lemon peel (or zest), diced
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice, fresh
- Assorted vegetables like - bell peppers, carrots, or cucumber - cut into sticks for dipping
- Preheat a grill or oven to 400°F and soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthwise, brush with a little olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Set the eggplant, cut side down on the planks. Add the garlic and place on the grill over indirect heat or in the oven. Roast for 30 minutes or until the eggplant is very soft to the touch and is starting to collapse.
- Remove the planks from the heat and use a spoon to scrape all the pulp out of the skin. Place straight into a sieve or colander, discard the skin.
- Allow the pulp to drain for 10 minutes and gently press out any excess moisture.
- Put the eggplant pulp in a bowl with the oil, tahini, peeled garlic, cumin, and lemon juice. Mash thoroughly with a fork and season with pinch of salt.
- Place in serving bowl and garnish with diced preserved lemon peel or lemon zest and smoked paprika. Serve with fresh vegetables.