This recipe is more about technique than anything else. The ultra-crispy skin with our smoky Rib Rub #6 really does it justice.
Tip – To cook using indirect heat, place the food on an enclosed grill away from the heat source. Direct heat is exactly what is sounds like, place your ingredients right over the coals or flames.
For the chicken
8 Chicken Thighs, bone in and skin on
½ cup Rib Rub #6
- Preheat a grill to 425°F.
- Rinse and dry the chicken. Dry skin will make it extra crispy later.
- Brush the chicken lightly with oil and liberally season each thigh all over.
- Over indirect heat place the chicken thighs skin side down on the grates and close the lid. Cook for 20 minutes occasionally rotating to ensure even cooking.
- Move it - still skin side down, so it is over direct heat and cook for 5 more minutes. This will create some extra crisp.
- Next, turn the chicken over, skin side up and cook 5 minutes more over direct heat. This will ensure the chicken is cooked through and the skin will have a final chance to dry out a little more. I like to shoot for an internal temp of between 165°F - 175°F.
- Allow the thighs to rest for 10 minutes before eating. Serve with grilled vegetables like asparagus.