These burgers benefit from a good sear and a shot of apple smoke.
Serves – 4
Total Time – 30 minutes
Tip -The feta has plenty of salt in it already so there is no need to season the lamb.
- Apple Smoking Chips
- 1 lb. ground Lamb
- 8 oz crumbled Feta Cheese
- 1 large Onion, sliced into rings
- 2 Lemons, quartered
- 1 Tomato, sliced thin
- Fresh Basil leaves
- 4 Buns
- Preheat a grill to 400˚ F and set up a smoker box with the apple chips over direct heat.
- Divide the lamb evenly and form 4 patties. The lamb will shrink a little so make the patties fairly flat. Put an indent in the center on the topside to stop them from puffing up too much.
- Turn the burners off on one side of the grill and place the patties over indirect heat. Keep the smoking chips on the other side over a medium flame. Move the coals if cooking with charcoal.
- Cook for 10 -15 minutes with the lid closed.
- While the lamb cooks, quickly grill the onions, turning often, about 5 minutes.
- Place the lemon halves on the hot side of the grill and sear until grill marks are apparent.
- When the burgers are cooked, remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Briefly toast the buns on the grill
- Build the burgers with the lamb, feta cheese, grilled onion, sliced tomato, and basil. Serve with grilled lemon.