Smoked Pig Whiskey Toddy (Yeah I said Pig Whiskey)
I once tried some vodka infused with oranges that came from the inside of a whole smoked hog. It was incredible, and inspired this cocktail recipe.
Total Time – 2 hours + infusion time
*Tip – Straining the whisky correctly is important so that you don’t end up with globules of fat in your glass.
- 1 cup Apple smoking chips
- 1 bottle of Whiskey, your choice
- 8 oz. Pork fat
- Brown Sugar
- 1 Orange
- Preheat a smoker to 225°F.
- Place the fat on a tray and set inside the smoker. Smoke for 2 hours. The fat should be completely rendered, if not turn up the heat to 275°F for 10 minutes or so.
- Add the hot fat to a jug or something that you can easily pour from.
- Add the whisky to large mason jar or decanter, quickly stir in the smoked fat and cover immediately.
- Set the whisky mixture in a fridge to infuse for 2 to 12 hours - the longer it sits the smokier it will be.
- The fat will have formed a disk above the whisky, give it stir and pour through a coffee filter into a clean container. There should be no evidence of fat in the whisky, if there is, filter it again
- Place a teaspoon of brown sugar in a cocktail glass and add a little hot water, and a splash of pig whisky. Stir and add a slice of orange.