Make this bright summery salad to accompany a fantastic cedar planked salmon entrée. A very common question we get here at Wildwood Grilling Outlet is: Can grilling planks be used more than once? Occasionally, yes, but usually the plank is all but obliterated. To get a nice sear and color on the scallops you have to crank the grill up to 450ºF. This recipe will decimate the plank you use, so make sure to keep a spray bottle of water at hand when you’re grilling to douse the inevitable flames. You will need it for sure, and it will be worth it. The scallops were delightfully Smokey.
- 1 Soaked Cedar Plank
- 6 fresh king scallops
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Kosher salt
For the salad
- 1 pink grapefruit peeled with segments removed
- 4 oz. arugula
- 1 ripe avocado
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- Preheat the grill to 450Fº.
- Combine the mustard with the vinegar and while constantly whisking very slowly add the oil to emulsify and create a vinaigrette.
- Generously season the scallops with salt and paprika, place on a plank on the grill and close the lid. Turn the scallops over after 3 minutes and cook for a further 2 minutes, remove from the heat.
- Toss the arugula, avocado and radishes with some of the dressing, top with warm scallops and grapefruit segments.
Photos, Ryan Zimmer
*If you enjoyed this recipe, please subscribe to our newsletter on the bottom of the page. You will receive an occasional e-mail about Big Sales, Free Giveaways and More!