This classic soup has a bit of a Moroccan Twist with the added taste of cedar.
Serves - 4
Total Time – 45 minutes
Tip – You don’t have to remove the tomato skin, but it will make for a smoother texture if you do.
For the soup
- Cedar Grilling Planks
- 8 medium Tomatoes
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth, hot
- ½ Cup Greek Yogurt, plus extra for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. Flat leaf Parsley, chopped
For the chickpeas
- 1 Can Chickpeas, drained
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 tsp. ground Cumin
- Preheat grill or oven to 425°F. Soak the planks in hot water for at least 15 minutes.
- Place the chickpeas in shallow oven dish and season with salt, cumin, and a little olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until crispy.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil. Score the tops of the tomatoes and drop in the boiling water for 30 seconds, remove and immediately place in cold water, remove the skin.
- Place the whole tomatoes on the planks, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt. Set the planks on the grill and cook for 30 minutes, or until very soft.
- When the tomatoes are cooked, place them in a blender with the broth and yogurt. Run the machine until very smooth, season with salt.
- To serve, pour the soup into bowls and garnish with chickpeas, parsley, and Greek yogurt.